Sunday, January 28, 2018

Touch Assignment




The Inner Climate 


"The hands or feet can freeze, and the body still survive, but if the blood temperature lowers we're goners. So the torso responds immediately to changes in temperature, and we sense cold over a wider range of our body then we do heat. Far more woman then men than men claim to have cold hands and feet, which isn't at all surprising. When the body gets cold, it protects the core organs first; in woman, it protects the reproductive organs. When your lips turn blue or your toes suffer frostbite, the blood vessels are tightening up and the body is sacrificing its extremities, sending blood to the essential inner section". - Diane Akerman (A Natural History of the Senses)

I have always been someone who is cold. Even when I was little during swimming lessons at the indoor pool, I would ware a wet suit, but my lips and fingers would STILL turn purple. This chapter finally explained why this happens and it makes a lot of sense. For my drawing, I drew myself from my perspective so you can and how I always feel when I'm cold, and probably relate to it as well. I also had colder colors the farther from my torso to represent the blood vessels tightening up and protecting me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment